Salary scale 13 of the German public sector salary system (TV-L)
The position starts as early as possible (administrative clearance permitting). The contract is initially limited to 3 years (extension possible), 39.2 hours/week (100% position). The position is generally suitable for part-time employment.
- Biometrie und EDV
- Emmy Noether-Nachwuchsgruppe „Beyond Prediction - Statistical Inference with Machine Learning"
- Develop new statistical methods for interpretable machine learning
- Participate in joint (international) research projects
- Publish and present research results
- Develop software packages
- Co-supervise bachelor and master students
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in (bio-)statistics, mathematics, data science, computer science or related disciplines
- Experience in statistics and/or machine learning
- Programming skills in R, Python, Matlab, C++, Java or similar
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Initiative, motivation, commitment, and scientific curiosity
The Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS, Department Biometry and Data Management, offers a position as a
PhD student in Statistical Machine Learning
The Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS is one of the leading epidemiological research institutions in Germany and a member of the Leibniz Association. The position is in the Emmy Noether Junior Research Group: Beyond Prediction - Statistical Inference with Machine Learning, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and lead by Marvin N. Wright. The research group develops statistical inference methods for machine learning with focus on problems faced in epidemiology such as confounding, high-dimensional data and survival outcomes. The group cooperates with researchers from the University of Oxford, University of Copenhagen and Stanford University.
We seek an excellent, open-minded and team-spirited PhD candidate. We are looking for a person with a background in (bio-)statistics, mathematics, computer science or related disciplines who is interested in statistical aspects of machine learning and applications in epidemiology.
We offer a structured PhD program, exciting research topics, a stimulating international environment, a good infrastructure, close ties to the University of Bremen and an engaged, supportive and cooperative team.
Severely disabled applicants will be given priority conditional on equal professional and personal qualifications. The Institute strives to promote its employees’ work-life balance and has been certified for its family friendliness (audit “berufundfamilie”). We also offer additional support for international scholars to relocate to Germany through the Welcome Center of the UBremen Research Alliance.
Enquiries to: Dr. Marvin N. Wright, phone: +49 421 218 56 945, e-mail: wright(at)leibniz-bips.de
Additional information can be found on our homepage: https://www.leibniz-bips.de/en.
Please send your application in English or German with the usual documents quoting the reference number A20/34 by December 14, 2020 by e-mail as a single PDF file to: bewerbung(at)leibniz-bips.de.
Leibniz-Institut für Präventionsforschung und Epidemiologie – BIPS GmbH
28359 Bremen Germany