Attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
The attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a frequent developmental disorder, with highest incidence rates during childhood and adolescence. The prevalence of ADHD has been estimated at 5-7%. The disease is associated with a range of further mental disorders, such as depression or elevated risks of substance abuse.
This research topic covers questions of medical treatment and multi-sectoral care strategies such as the implementation of selective contracts between SHIs and physicians specialized in ADHD treatment or the effect of medication on injury risks in children and adolescents with ADHD. In 2009, this department started the so-called GePoLO study (German Population Based Long Term Follow-up of ADHD, sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research). Currently, SHI claims data are available for the years 2004 – 2015, enabling an observation period of up to 11 years. Based on this, studies on multi-modal treatment strategies are conducted. Further research projects investigating the evolution of ADHD in children and adolescents are under preparation.
- Langner, I., Haug, U., Scholle, O., Lindemann, C., Schröder, C. & Riedel, O. (in press). Potential explanations for increasing methylphenidate use in children and adolescents with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Germany from 2004 to 2013. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology.
- Scholle, O., Jilani, H., Riedel, O., Banaschewski, T., Hadjigeorgiou, C., Hunsberger, M., Iguacel, I., Molnár, D., Pala, V., Russo, P., Veidebaum, T., Zaqout, M. & Pohlabeln, H. (in press). Use of nutritional supplements in youth with medicated and unmedicated attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology.
- Scholle O., Banaschewski, T., Enders, D., Garbe, E. & Riedel, O. (2018). Use and characteristics of antipsychotic/methylphenidate combination therapy in children and adolescents with a diagnosis of ADHD. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 28: 415-422.
- Kersting, C., Lindemann, C., Mikolajczyk, R., Garbe, E. & Riedel, O. (2016). Auf dem Weg zu einer optimale(re)n Versorgung? Ergebnisse der Pilotierung eines ADHS-Selektivvertrages nach §73c SGB V in Bremerhaven. Psychotherapie Psychosomatik Medizinische Psychologie, 66: 187-194. doi: 10.1055/s-0042-100814.
- Mikolajczyk, R., Horn, J., Schmedt, N., Langner, I., Lindemann, C., Garbe, E. (2015). Injury prevention by medication among children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A case-only study.JAMA Pediatrics, 169: 391-395. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.3275