Determinants of diet and physical activity (DEDIPAC), Knowledge Hub to integrate and develop infrastructure for research across Europe
- The Determinants of Diet and Physical Activity (DEDIPAC) Knowledge Hub was established as part of the Joint Programming Initiative ‘A Healthy Diet for a Healthy Life’ which was launched by the European Commission. The Knowledge Hub was created to contribute to a better understanding of how individual, social, economic, cultural, biological and other factors determine dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviours.
DEDIPAC brought together European researchers of various disciplines to dedicate themselves to this question in three thematic areas:
Thematic Area 1: ‘State-of-the-art’ methods for the assessment of diet, physical activity, sedentary behaviour and their determinants were evaluated regarding their suitability for future pan-European research, surveillance and monitoring, and evaluation of interventions and policies. Novel integrated assessment tools were developed and their feasibility and potential integration into European surveillance and research infrastructures was tested.
Thematic Area 2: Determinants of dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviours across the life course and in vulnerable groups (e.g. lower socio-economic and immigrant groups) were investigated by reviewing and integrating existing knowledge and conducting secondary data analyses. Special emphasis was given to the interactions of determinants.
Thematic Area 3: Multi-component interventions and public policies aimed at improving dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviours across the life course were evaluated and conditions for successful implementation were investigated.
A total of 70 research institutes/consortia from 13 European countries took part in DEDIPAC. At the BIPS, the departments ‘Epidemiological Methods and Etiological Research’, ‘Biometry and Data Management’ and ‘Prevention and Evaluation’ were involved in the project.
- Begin: December 2013
End: November 2016
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research
Selected project-related publications
- Chastin S, De Craemer M, Lien N, Bernaards C, Buck C, Oppert J-M, Nazare J-A, Lakerveld J, O'Donoghue G, Holdsworth M, Owen N, Brug J, Cardon G, on behalf of the DEDIPAC consortium. The SOS-framework (Systems of Sedentary behaviours): An international transdisciplinary consensus framework for the study of determinants, research priorities and policy on sedentary behaviour across the life course: A DEDIPAC-study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2016;13:83.
- Chastin S, Buck C, Freiberger E, Murphy M, Brug J, Cardon G, O'Donoghue G, Pigeot I, Oppert J-M, on behalf of the DEDIPAC consortium. Systematic literature review of determinants of sedentary behaviour in older adults: A DEDIPAC study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2015;12:127.
- Lakerveld J, van der Ploeg H, Kroeze W, Ahrens W, Allais O, Frost Andersen L, Cardon G, Capranica L, Chastin S, Donnelly A, Ekelund U, Finglas P, Flechtner-Mors M, Hebestreit A, Hendriksen I, Kubiak T, Lanza M, Loyen A, MacDonncha C, Mazzocchi M, Monsivais P, Murphy M, Nöthlings U, O'Gorman DJ, Renner B, Roos G, Schuit AJ, Schulze MB, Steinacker J, Stronks K, Volkert D, van't Veer P, Lien N, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Brug J, on behalf of the DEDIPAC consortium. Towards the integration and development of a cross European research network and infrastructure: The DEterminants of DIet and Physical ACtivity (DEDIPAC) knowledge hub. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2014;11:143.
- Ahrens W. Moving DEDIPAC ahead, visions of DEDIPAC cohort (Chair). Determinants of Diet and Physical Activity (DEDIPAC) Final Symposium, 12-13 October 2016, Bonn.
- Buck C, Foraita R, Van Cauwenberg J, Loyen A, De Craemer M, MacDonncha C, Oppert J-M, Brug H, Lien N, Cardon G, Pigeot I, Chastin S. Bayesian network analysis of factors associated with sedentary behaviour. Determinants of Diet and Physical Activity (DEDIPAC) Final Symposium, 12-13 October 2016, Bonn.
- Sprengeler O, Hebestreit A, Ahrens W, Lien N, Ekelund U, Donnelly A, van der Ploeg H. Task 1.2.5: The validity and reliability of methods to assess key determinants of physical activity and sedentary behaviour. Determinants of Diet and Physical Activity (DEDIPAC) Final Symposium, 12-13 October 2016, Bonn.
- Thumann B, Hebestreit A, Donnelly A, Dowd K, Nimptsch K, Pischon T, van der Ploeg H, Steinbrecher A, Ahrens W. Assessment of sedentary behaviour and its determinants in children and adolescents for surveillance purposes - First results of a feasibility study. Determinants of Diet and Physical Activity (DEDIPAC) Final Symposium, 12-13 October 2016, Bonn.
- Ahrens W, Bel-Serrat S, Huybrechts I, Thumann B, Hebestreit A, van der Ploeg H, Slimani N. Inventory of surveillance systems assessing dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviours in Europe. 15th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA), 8-11 June 2016, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Pischke CR, Müllmann S, Steenbock B, Zeeb H, De Cocker K, De Craemer M, Hayes C, O'Shea MP, Horodyska K, Bell J, Luszczynska A, Roos G, Langøien LJ, Rugseth G, Terragni L, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Brug J. Views of policy makers and intervention implementers on factors facilitating the implementation and transferability of interventions and policies for the promotion of physical activity and a healthy diet in Europe. International Congress of Behavioral Medicine (ICBM), 7-10 December 2016, Melbourne, Australia. (Abstract published in: International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2016;23:S226)
- Müllmann S, Steenbock B, Zeeb H, Roos G, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Brug J, Pischke CR, on behalf of the DEDIPAC consortium. Implementing interventions and policies targeting health behaviours: Facilitators and barriers. 8th European Public Health Conference (EUPHA), 14-17 October 2015, Milan, Italy. (Abstract published in: European Journal of Public Health. 2015;25(Suppl.3):326)