Longitudinal analysis on the medical and psychotherapeutic treatment of ADHD children using secondary data
- The therapeutic strategies to treat ADHD in children and adolescents are diverse. In addition to medication, they include psychotherapeutic interventions and in particular cognitive behavior therapy, which is recommended in the most important German-European ADHD guidelines. For example, the German Society of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy recommends single or group therapy to treat comorbid disorders and impulsive or unorganized problem solving in ADHD children starting at school-age.
Psychotherapy is reimbursed by the statutory health insurance providers in Germany. This fact guarantees outstanding conditions for health services research on psychotherapeutic interventions. Nevertheless, there is generally – not only related to ADHD – very little research on the psychotherapeutic care situation in Germany.
The aim of this research project was to assess the feasibility of long-term studies based on claims data on the care situation of children and adolescents diagnosed with ADHD. As an example, pharmaco- and psychotherapeutic interventions in ADHD children and adolescents were evaluated over a five-year period starting with the first ADHD diagnosis.
This pilot study provides the basis for more comprehensive studies in the future, among others, concerning multimodal treatment approaches.
- Begin: November 2016
End: March 2017
- Aktion Psychisch Kranke (APK) e.V.
Poster: “Patterns and predictors of pharmacological and psychotherapeutic treatment in children newly diagnosed with ADHD” (2018 conference of the International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology (ISPE))
Selected project-related publications
- Scholle O, Fegert JM, Kollhorst B, Öztürk E, Riedel O, Kölch M. Predictors for receiving medication and/or psychotherapy in children newly diagnosed with ADHD: A longitudinal population-based cohort study. Journal of Attention Disorders. 2020;24(2):255-264.
- Kölch M, Fegert JM, Kollhorst B, Öztürk E, Riedel O, Scholle O. Predictors for pharmacological and psychotherapeutic treatment in children newly diagnosed with ADHD. 65th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP), 22-27 October 2018, Seattle, USA.
- Scholle O, Fegert JM, Kollhorst B, Öztürk E, Riedel O, Kölch M. Predictors for pharmacological and psychotherapeutic treatment in children newly diagnosed with ADHD. 34th International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management (ICPE), 22-26 August 2018, Prague, Czech Republic.